[clue-tech] upstart

Dennis J Perkins dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Mon Sep 8 23:01:41 MDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 21:59 -0600, Collins Richey wrote:
> Interestingly enough,  Gentoo solved the problem of dependency
> scheduling of init scripts a very long time ago, so now upstart, et
> al, would appear to be reinventing the wheel.

They also use a structure different from sysvinit's.  I think it's
something like /etc/single and /etc/multiuser, but I would need to look
it up to get it right.

I'm curious how they solved it.  I know at least one of the BSD's
redesigned their init program to handle dependencies.  They discussed it
for a long time.  I'm not sure if there was any true concensus, but they
then went ahead and implemented it.  Their solution might be standard in
all BSD's by now.