[clue-tech] upstart

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Sep 9 08:25:37 MDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 22:57 -0600, Dennis J Perkins wrote:
> > I noticed it when removable stuff started getting put under /media,
> > instead of /mnt. Yech. :)
>
> I forgot about that one. :)

That took some getting used to, but I recovered.  Now I just look in
both places, since I mount under /mnt and the system likes to do it
under /media.  Then again...

> > > except that some things suddenly work automatically, like a window
> > > openeing when a USB stick is inserted.
> >
> > You know, I haven't any idea what others' experiences with this sort of
> > stuff is like, but it's never worked reliably for me.
>
> It would probably be a pain to find out how to disable it.  It was a
> pain to find out how to enable it.

I thought so to, especially because Fedora tries to launch totem (which
always comes without DVD support) when I put in a DVD and I wanted xine
instead.  Turns out it was pretty easy to reconfigure this automount
behavior under XFce (I supposed GNOME is similar but don't know about
KDE).  Under Settings->Removable Drives and Media there are a bunch of
settings to fix the automount annoyances.

--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org