[clue-tech] ghost / virtual machine

Patrick H. clue at feystorm.net
Tue Sep 16 00:06:36 MDT 2008

What youre talking about may be possible. If the PC with the failing
drive was running windows, then no, youre stuck. Windows does not like
having its hardware changed and will freak out when you load it into a VM.
Linux on the other hand will handle this fairly nicely. I dual-boot my
laptop, but I also have the ability to boot my linux partition into a VM
while windows is running.

You will need to convert the image from a norton ghost file to a vmware
image. VMWare provides a free util aptly named "Converter
<http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/>" which claims to be able to
do this. Once its up and running, you'll probably need to change your
kernel around a bit to support the hardware that VMWare emulates
(depending on your distro and how its kernel was built if you didnt
build it). It should start up in a fairly broken, but working state to
where you can fix it.