[clue-tech] Interesting sidux/smxi news

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Sep 18 21:12:41 MDT 2008

Collins Richey wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:59 AM, Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:
>> I thought the packagers who make the packages and the regular package
>> managers (and also which repository you choose to use and what goes in it --
>> garbage in, garbage out) -- could already do all that!?
>
> Not in a well coordinated fashion. In particular on sid, packages with
> incomplete dependency chains appear all to frequently.

They do, but they can't be installed.  The worst I've ever seen is that
something conflicts with a package that isn't upgradeable yet.
Sometimes the dependency resolver decides to remove the package rather
than holding the other thing.  But then something is marked as broken
and it's simple to do the hold before upgrading.

It'd be nice if the resolver did that for you but I have no idea how it
works or how hard that would be.