[clue-tech] Me vs. Spam and Spamassassin

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Mon Sep 22 07:12:20 MDT 2008

I probably missed the beginning message here, but time to chime in. If
I'm way off topic, please let it ride.  When I talk about SPAM and SPAM
control I talk to:

1) SPAM that comes in via web forms
2) SPAM coming in through your regular email account

1) Do a google on "comment form spam" and you'll find lots of results; I
even have some forms I've developed piecing together bits/pieces I've
googled.  If interested I can point you to one on my site,

2) I use an online service, same as I implement for my clients, called
Email Defense available from www.luxsci.com.  It is highly configurable
through their console and the support folks are outstanding.  I think
someone referred me to them a couple years ago (from the PHP group?).  I
used Mailarmory from FRII.com for a while but it came with more baggage
than you could shake a leg at and FRII nickle/dimed you to death.

For clients I also tried setting up spam assassin and boxtrapper spam
trap which are readily available through many webhosting services, but
they were really nightmarish.  I lost email in testing and many many
hours of my time - support is laissez-faire.  I use Thunderbird for
email as well.  I don't think it's spam filter actually catches much as
email defense is so smooth.

Chime out,
Bob