[clue-tech] Installfest

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Sep 22 19:11:54 MDT 2008

Michael S. Farnsworth wrote:
> A thank you to yesterday's installfest dudes. Another great session.

Thanks for coming!  I should have brought you a prize as "the only
attendee with an actual (Linux) problem".

> After some tinkering later at home, some mixed news. Good: unlike suse,
> kubuntu ran jack audio server without a hitch. Bad: still no midi playback in
> rosegarden. :-(

Sorry that I wasn't more help.  I don't know jack about jack.  Or midi.
  But rosegarden has a really pretty splash screen, doesn't it? ;-)

> And after fawns, gaboons, etc., the hapless heron appears to have restored
> wireless operation again to whence it was in 6.10! All in all a (moderately)
> successful day.

Well, if you're happy I'm happy.

For the rest of the crowd, we had 7 people attend installfest.  So for
the first time in my experience we had more helpers than people with
problems (by several to one).  Bob came to see some faces, so I think
he'd count it as moderately successful too and I enjoyed talking to him.

So I'm wondering how much impact SFD had on our turnout.  Seems that the
more you focus on Freedom the less interest there is.  It's really
"character doesn't matter, make me an empty promise."  (OK, maybe not
but that seems like the political equivalent of cost being the only
consideration.)

I had a good time though and on account of the low turnout the SFD
cookies went a really long way.  Thanks to all who didn't come!  Next
year maybe I'll see if RMS can come.  That should scare away most of
those who made it. ;-)