[clue-tech] Ubuntu 8.10 rescue

mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 5 20:24:12 MDT 2009

Hello,

I am poking around with an Ubuntu 8.10 install CD boot into rescue mode
and am wondering about the tools for bare metal restore. It looks like
you get sed to edit, but no nfs mount or restore nor tools to put the
tools in place to restore from dump. Particularly dumps stored on an NFS server. Which leads me to ask what is a typical method for restoring an Ubuntu system. It doesn't look like dump/restore is a mainstream Ubuntu
way...

It looks like I could hold to my dump/restore ways if I use a redhat rescue boot, but that surely wouldn't qualify as a pure Ubuntu solution :)

I seem to recall years ago building rescue floppy sets using Tom's root
boot kit (?) and Karel Kubat's SAR (?)disk with some flexibility in tools. Is there some sort of analogous Ubuntu rescue CD making package?

Thanks,

-Mike