[clue-tech] Reading and writing to a serial port, Kubuntu 8.10

willydlw at comcast.net willydlw at comcast.net
Mon Apr 6 15:40:33 MDT 2009

I am trying to run some c++ code, part of which opens a serial port, then reads and writes to that device. The code works perfectly on a friend's laptop, but fails to read on mine, so we know it's not the c++ code. I have an hp dv6000 series laptop running Kubuntu 8.10.

I have a usb to serial adapter plugged in and it is recognized:

diane at diane-laptop:~$ dmesg | grep tty
[ 0.004000] console [tty0] enabled
[ 1.839861] tty ttyd1: hash matches
[ 5508.311495] usb 4-1: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
diane at diane-laptop:~$

diane at diane-laptop:/dev$ ls -al ttyU*
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 2009-04-06 15:30 ttyUSB0
diane at diane-laptop:/dev$

To make sure I had read/write permission:

diane at diane-laptop:/dev$ sudo chmod a+rw ttyUSB0
[sudo] password for diane:
diane at diane-laptop:/dev$ ls -al ttyU*
crw-rw-rw- 1 root dialout 188, 0 2009-04-06 15:30 ttyUSB0
diane at diane-laptop:/dev$

Also, I am a member of dialout:

diane at diane-laptop:/dev$ groups
diane root sys adm tty proxy dialout fax cdrom floppy sudo audio dip backup src video plugdev games users scanner sshlpadmin netdev admin sambashare
diane at diane-laptop:/dev$

Have also tried to run the c++ program as root and that does not work either. How can I get my laptop to read and write to a serial port?

Thanks,
Diane