[clue-tech] mtime isn't

Tue Apr 7 20:44:00 MDT 2009

Why is that when I copy a file from one place to another, the mtime updates?  I've noticed it in bash with cp and just now in Rhythmbox, copying some stuph to my iAudio U3.  I'm not modifying, I'm copying, and an important piece of meta-data is getting destroyed by default.  Does anyone know what the rationale for this behavior might be?

David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
MCT, MCSE, Linux+
tel://720.333.LANS
Freeing people from the tyranny (or whatevery) of Microsofty-ness, one at a time.