[clue-tech] Copying DVDs in Kubuntu?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Aug 5 08:34:44 MDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 05:54 -0700, Adrian F. Nagle, IV wrote:
> When I try to watch the second set in kaffeine, I do get the generic
> menu to play a video, but it will not play.

This possibly sounds like the "encryption via obfuscation" issue where
the order of the chapters is not sequential.  Disney, for example, does
that one some of their DVDs.  Try playing the DVD with mplayer or xine.
If they work, that may be the issue.  Kaffiene may not support playing
these types of DVDs yet.

> When trying to duplicate the DVD, I get a response that basically the
> DVD can't be read or is somehow invalid.  It plays fine in my regular
> DVD player (goes straight to video, no menu) so I know it works.

Try:

dd if=<dvd device of=<iso filename>

for example

dd if=/dev/sr0 of=mydvd.iso

If this completes, then you can try buring the ISO to another DVD.  I
use XCDRoast for this, but I use Fedora.  Don't know anything about k3b.

--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org