[clue-tech] system76 starling report

June Tate-Gans june at theonelab.com
Mon Dec 7 09:30:30 MST 2009

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2. So, I decided to accept the offer to upgrade to 9.10 (on wireless).
> Three hours later after no errors, I rebooted the system, and, of
> course, wireless was dead.l
>
> 3. This is not a System76 problem. The good folks at Ubuntu released
> 9.10 without bothering? being able? to test with a Realtek rtl8187b
> chip. Carl and company posted a warning about this, but of course I
> didn't read it before upgrading. I'm not sure whether Ubuntu is doing
> anything, but System76 is working on a fix. Meanwhile, a helpful user
> reported a workaround using ndiswrapper that works for some users ( me
> included).

I feel your pain -- sadly it seems that every other release the
Canonical guys manage to really screw something up major. I recently
attempted to upgrade (using standard system tools like aptitude, mind
you) my Jaunty Jackalope Lenovo X200 laptop to Karmic Koala (the final
release). What a disaster! By the time aptitude was done installing
packages, the system could hardly boot: compiling a simple "int
main(void) { return 0; }" with gcc actually caused the compiler to
segfault and running certain problems resulted in major ld.so symbol
errors[1]. In the end, I actually couldn't fix it and gave up and went
to Gentoo[2].

> You Ubuntu folks need to support System76.

Seems as though they might want to hire some Ubuntu devs, or pay
Canonical for testing support.

  1. For those of you playing along at home, ld.so is Linux' dynamic
linker -- it loads in and links the libraries needed for a program to
run. You can use ldd(1) on a binary to see what libs it depends on,
and where they are, too. See also ld.so(8).
  2. I actually was convinced by a friend to give FreeBSD a try, and
after running into that mess decided I liked BSD Ports, which is why I
switched over to Gentoo. Yay! No dbus or hal! Woo!

--
June Tate-Gans    | Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things
www.theonelab.com | than you free with my breakfast cereal. -- Zaphod Beeblebrox