[clue-tech] wireless education for dummies (me)

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 04:55:40 MST 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 11:44 PM, Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2009, at 7:03 PM, Collins Richey wrote:
>

>> The only other wireless router I have (D-LINK DI-614) doesn't want to
>> work through the wired router. This one has some level of security.
>
> Don't know what "doesn't want to work through the wired router means".  Does it get an address via DHCP, or are you assigning one, etc?

The router is configured via a 192..... url. Unable to connect to the
router to configure.

The existing router works the same way, but it responds to the
configuration url.

> I'd dump the wired router altogether and plug a wireless router into the Cablemodem... one that has enough Ethernet ports to replace your wired router while also acting as your wireless AP.

I keep reading that the wireless encryption is immenently crackable,
so that would expose my entire network to kiddie crackers, or ???

--
Collins Richey