[clue-tech] CLUE Talk Mailing list mbox file too big to rsynch

Angelo Bertolli angelo.bertolli at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 12:16:39 MST 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 1:41 PM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:

> Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>
>> The problem with rsyncing an ever-growing mbox is that it always needs to
>> be
>> copied since it will always be different.
>>

> It always needs to be copied but only blocks that don't match are copied
> (in this case only the new data at the end of the file).  Which is exactly
> what we want.

So rdiff then?

Normally rsync doesn't compare the two files:  it just compares the
timestamps and sizes, then copies the whole file if they don't match.  You
can force a comparison check, but that usually takes even longer.

Maybe rdiff will copy just the changed blocks, but it will still have to
perform the diff.  Yeah, I know there's supposed to be some "magic" to
efficiently do diffs over the net (maybe using checksums?)