[clue-tech] Good Linux solution for Hotmail

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Feb 5 18:27:56 MST 2009

Peter Kuykendall wrote:
> As mentioned on this list before, I have kept an XP VM running on my
> Linux machine just so that I could reliably access Hotmail and run
> Visio.  Well, I hardly ever need Visio from Linux nowadays, so this
> fix should mean that I no longer have to fire up the XP VM.  Free at
> last!

Hotmail seems like a silly reason to need Windows.  What does it do that
Gmail doesn't?  Seems like nothing if you use pop3 and smtp, right?

For Visio I would try wine.  I had two reasons to have a Windows VM.
First was for my smartcard reader.  Fortunately I was able to trade up
to a "Mac approved" reader and it works with Linux.  Now all I have left
is an Access app.  I'm planning to try wine with it.

I saw wine run IE recently.  Seems to me that if that works something
like Visio should be easy.