[clue-tech] SYSFS_DEPRECIATED_V2

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Feb 19 10:52:45 MST 2009

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 08:27:00 -0800 (PST)
mike havlicek <mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am building a v2.6.28.6 kernel for use with CentOS 5.2. In general
> whats a definitative way to determine if a distro needs this feature?

Well, if it's set in the existing vendor kernel, there is likely a good
reason for it.

...snip...

> Ultimately I am trying to alleviate some more irritating problems
> that I see from this vanilla install:
>
> - calls to hwclock fail
> - kjournald eventually fails
>
> I also get messages of the form:
>
> EXT3-fs error (device dm-3) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted
>
> and from syslogd
>
> kernel: journal commit I/O error.

I don't think building a custom newer kernel is likely to fix I/O
errors. That sounds like your drive or controller is having issues.
It's hard to say without the full dmesg output.

You can try using smartctl to test your drive.

kevin