[clue-tech] Christmas toys.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Jan 1 23:28:53 MST 2009

Thanks to the holidays it's less than 4 weeks until installfest and I
didn't even notice.  But this should be a good one because you all have
new toys that you want to run Linux on, right?

The date is the 24th.  The location is DeVry DTC.  The details (as
always) are at: http://cluedenver.org/display.php?node=installfest

My dad got a digital camera and an all in one printer.  And you know
whose job it is to make them work with Linux. ;-)  But I told him,
"that's what you do on Christmas day--put together all the toys you got."

In this case it was a little challenging because the printer has only
been available for a few months.  So the gutenprint that has support is
in Debian experimental (it's there so as not to disturb the preps for
Lenny, not because it isn't likely to work).  And SANE doesn't support
it yet.

(There are proprietary drivers for both, but they both core on testing
so I didn't bother.  SANE will catch up soon enough I think.)

The camera has a couple of modes.  I only fooled with the usb-storage
mode, and I don't have automounting set up so that's less than ideal.  I
either need to make it automount or use a different mode that gphoto
will find (more) automatically.  I tried renaming the device node with
udev rules but I can never remember how to walk the sysfs tree to find
the right values.  Maybe I wrote that down somewhere.

So I hope you all had as much Linux fun as I did (and I got to do some
nice coding at work since there were no meetings).  But if you're stuck
on something I'll see you on the 24th.