[clue-tech] Installfest - Puppy Linux on Pentium II Laptops

Karrie Havel ethereallibrarian at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 13:10:45 MST 2009

I spent the entire Installfest working on my kids' two very old laptops that
have Puppy Linux installed.  The laptops were requesting way too much
information at boot (hardware details that you would expect to only have to
enter once), they were not shutting down and rebooting properly and they
were not saving the wireless network connection after shutdown.

The boot and shutdown had to do with the type of install and some of the
options I had selected at install.  I have now done a new full install and
those problems are gone.

As far as the wireless network connections being dropped, a bit of searching
shows that it may be a more wide spread problem than just with my hardware.
I went ahead and wrote a script that now runs after boot before the x
desktop. That sets up the wireless network and gets an IP address.

If anyone has some OLD hardware that they are trying to save from the junk
heap, I would suggest Puppy Linux.  These laptops only have 256 RAM and a 6
Gig hard drive each and are now running fast.  Much faster than they were on
DSL, DSL-N, Xubuntu or Ubuntu.

Karrie Havel