[clue-tech] Sharing samba with libpam-mount?

Adrian F. Nagle, IV anagle at naglenet.org
Fri Jan 30 20:14:59 MST 2009

I'm trying to mount my samba share directory permanently, when booting/logging in and without passwords.

I have the login and passwords the same on all of my machines.

I was following directions I found here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently#Mount%20password%20protected%20network%20folders%20without%20credentials%20file%20using%20libpam_mount
and here:

I downloaded and installed the libpam-mount debian package for my kubuntu installation.

I added "@include common-pammount" to etc/pam.d/login, su, and kdm (and not the kdm-np).

The config file apparently changed to an xml format file.  I added the following to the bottom of /etc/security/pam_mount.conf.xml:

    <volume
            user="*" | pgrp="*" | sgrp="winusers"
            fstype="smbfs"
            server="//jerome/srvshare"
            path="nagle_ext1"
            mountpoint="/media/nagle_ext1"
    />

    <volume
            users="*"
            fstype="smbfs"
            server="//jerome/srvshare"
            path="homes"
            mountpoint="/home/%(USER)/remote"
            options="dmask=0711"
    />

Did I miss something?

One argument I'm not certain of is the "path" argument.  I cann ping the jerome server (linux samba server).

I'm not sure how to debug this.  For one, is there a way restart this module without rebooting?  What should the path be?  I have a [srvshare] profile (sharename?) that I connect with in Konqueror.  Looking at the server's smb.conf file, I see in that profile the path is set to '/srv'.  I'm not sure how that would be correct, though.

Thank you!

Adrian

Adrian Nagle ~ anagle at naglenet.org