[clue-tech] TrendNet USB wireless.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Jul 3 11:08:04 MDT 2009

I mentioned that I saw one of these work at installfest (TEW-424UB):

http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=265_TEW-424UB&cat=84

Since they're $10 I got one to try out.  Current models are using the
Realtek 8187b chip.  The rtl8187 driver doesn't support that until
2.6.27 (I tested 2.6.29, and there is a fair bit of work on it in 2.6.30).

ndiswrapper worked fine with 2.6.26, except it couldn't connect unless
the SSID was broadcast.  But it did support WPA2.

In 2.6.29, there was a problem stopping and starting the wlan0
interface.  But after suspend/resume the interface came right up on hot
plugging.

The driver seems to be a copy of the vendor driver, which could have
been better.  So the kernel hackers are improving it as they go.

Compared to my laptop's iwl3945 the signal strength was stronger, but it
only picked up 1 of 3 neighboring APs.

(Now Google knows what I know.) ;-)