[clue-tech] I just bought a motherboard, CPU and memory and something is DOA

Russell Glissmann rglissma at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 07:45:56 MDT 2009

I'd be willing to bet money that you have a short between the motherboard
and the case.  Look at your standoffs, you may be using the metal type and
one or more is resting on the motherboard that happens to have a contact on
either the top or bottom where the screw goes.  Even if it isn't one of the
standoffs, check the other contacts.  I've had this happen to me more than
once and every time drives me crazy trying to figure it out.  If it is one
of the standoffs, use a plastic washer between either the screw and the
motherboard, or the standoff and the motherboard.

Russ

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 5:10 AM, AGSCalabrese <agscal at gmail.com> wrote:

> I took my parts to MicroCenter.
> For their own reasons, they replaced every part ( qty1 MB, qty1 CPU , qty2
> RAM )
> Then they tested the combination and said it was good.  I left MicroCenter
> carrying the MB with
> CPU and RAM installed.
>
> Back at the ranch, I installed the MB/RAM/CPU in a box.  I added a new 300W
> supply ( 20 pin power connector ).
> The MB is a 24 pin power connector.  See photos at
> http://oh-god.com:5080/dir/zeus/
> I connected a monitor.  I added an internal speaker.
> I turned on the power.  the fan spun, and nothing else happened. No beep.
>  I switched monitors.  Nothing happened.
> I added a video card.  Nothing happened.  I added a keyboard ..... nothing.
>
> What now ?
>
> Gus
>

>  On Jul 18, 2009, at 5:32 PM, Rita Gibson wrote:
>>
>> They will bench test your parts right there at Micro Center, I'm surprised
>> they didn't offer to do it before you left. They usually do when you buy a
>> motherboard.
>>
>> Rita Gibson
>>
>> AGSCalabrese wrote:
>>
>>> The CPU is a dual-core socket 775 2.5 GHz Pentium
>>> The memory is two sticks of 1GB DDR2 PC2-5300
>>> The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA G31M ES2L
>>>
>>> I bought them at MicroCenter.
>>> I installed the CPU and the memory and a speaker and plugged in a
>>> monitor.
>>>
>>> Results:   No display on monitor, no beeps from the speaker.
>>> The power switch starts the fan.  At first I could also turn the fan off
>>> by pressing the power switch for 5 seconds.  No longer.
>>>
>>> I am looking for some help whereby I drop by and try my parts in
>>> someone's system.
>>>
>>> Best
>>> Gus S. Calabrese

Mike Ditka <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mike_ditka.html>  -
"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms."