[clue-tech] I just bought a motherboard, CPU and memory and something is DOA

Dennis J Perkins dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Wed Jul 22 20:53:57 MDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 19:33 -0700, Chris Tubutis wrote:
> >The motherboard doc says it is okay to use a 20 pin connector power supply.
> >Gus
>
> That may be true. However, I'll bet you still need the other 4 pins powered
> properly, whether that be from a single (24-pin) connector or otherwise, e.g.
> 20 + 4.
>
> My guess is that you're not supplying power to the CPU (which is what
> I'm supposing the other 4 pins do, smth like brown & yellow wires).

I'm not entirely sure if he needs to use all of the pins on the 24-pin
connector.  The manual does say it is compatible with power supplies
that supply 2x10 and 2x12 connectors.  I had a power supply that
provided a separate 4-pin connector to plug into the remaining pins but
I don't know if that is necessary in his case.

The 12V connector that plugs into a socket between the CPU and the IO
ports is necessary, however.

If he still has problems on Saturday, he should come to the installfest
and I can look at it.