[clue-tech] Good Linux magazine recommendation?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Jul 31 14:08:20 MDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-31 at 10:30 -0700, David Guntner wrote:
> I've got a friend who's looking for a good Linux magazine (print
> publication, with a no-CD option when subscribing to it).  What I'm
> thinking he needs is something that gives a lot of good fundamentals and
> some neat how-to things.  That sort of stuff. :-)

There is only one (to my knowledge) print Linux magazine published in
the US now:  Linux Journal.  Linux Magazine (US) was purchased by Linux
Magazine (UK) and is now available only as an online magazine.

There are several UK magazines, all of which approach the subject on a
bit less technical side than LJ.  I write a GIMP tutorial column for
Linux Format every month and have an article due for publication with
Linux Magazine (UK) sometime soon.  Linux Pro is another option from
across the pond.  All of these are available from bookstores but have a
high price tag for off the shelf ($12 or more per issue), probably
because of shipping costs.  The off-the-shelf issues are also a month or
so behind the publications overseas.  Don't know what the subscription
price is for any of them.  I just write for them.

Since I write for all of these I won't recommend one over the other.  I
will say that LJ is slightly more techy than the others, but they all
cover fundamentals to some degree and certainly cover "neat how-to"
topics, the latter being the meat-n-potatoes of the techy magazine
world.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org