[clue-tech] RAIDdle me this Batman...

Keith Hellman khellman at mcprogramming.com
Wed Mar 18 11:38:12 MDT 2009

Hello all.  I've got a friend who has had an old firewire device
fail on him.  My understanding is that it is a NAS like device, uses
RAID0, but it just uses firewire instead of ether.

So, it's failed, and he would (of course) like to get some data off the
drives.  He has backups, but they are a week old and that last week is
the killer.

Here is my question:  is the block layout of RAID drives standardized?
Can we throw these two drives onto *any* RAID0 capable controller
(perhaps even Linux software raid?) and get the file system back?

Or do we have to find to find a box/mobo with the same RAID controller?

TIA for the help,
--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman at mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard
khellman at mines.edu
                                   -*-
                    public key @ pgp.mit.edu 9FCF40FD
    Y!M: mcprogramming                           AIM/ICQ: 485403897
   gtalk (xmpp jabber): mrtuple at jabber.org, jabber at mcprogramming.com
                                   -*-

It's a small world. So you gotta use your elbows a lot.