[clue-tech] JeOS (ubuntu 8.04) VMware Tools

Charles Hutchinson chutchin at geekboi.org
Wed Mar 25 10:55:13 MDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 9:59 AM, mike havlicek <mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just started playing with VMware ESX 3i and did a basic set up of several
> JeOS 8.04 virtual machines. I am a little confused about the process of
> installing VMware Tools. This is a demo version of the
> Hypervisor/Infrastructure Client. From the client I have been trying to
> install the tools in a simple point and click fashion, but I am not sure
> what needs to be present (VMware Tools CD?). All I have so far is the
> VMware-VMvisor-InstallerCD custom IBM. I did have some trouble with getting
> the virtual machines to boot off their respective installation CD's finally
> setting the CD/DVD drive to be client/emulate IDE  ... blah blah.
>
> Anyone know what iso image(s) need to be available where when the VMware
> Tools installation is triggered? In my hasty running around with CD's and
> host and client CD drives, Tools were successfully installed for Windows
> Server 2003 using the point and click from client, but I don't know where
> what was loaded from (probably no CD even involved) .... hastiness....
>
> When I created the initial linux virtual machines I used typical settings
> for an ubuntu 32-bit guest. I suppose the tools could be installed using an
> iso loaded from the client machines disk, but again I don't know what needs
> to be in place where. I see that there is an alternative method
> "using OSPs" the documentation for which I have not read. Maybe this is
> what I will have to do. OR is not having to do this the point of JeOS :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Mike

There are multiple steps to installing the tools for vmware.  The first
thing you need to do is tell vmware that you want to install the tools.  The
method varies with the version of vmware you are running.  From the console
of the guest you should see a menu option for install/upgrade tools.  When
you click on this vmware will set the cdrom device for that guest to point
to an iso image on the vmware server.

Once that is done you can go into the guest os to do the actual install.
Mount the "CD" drive in the OS.  Do this from the console as it will most
likely need to restart the network services and reload the network drivers.
Depending on what package manager your guest uses you can just do an rpm
-Uvh /media/cdrom/vmware-tools*.rpm.  For non rpm systems you will need to
extract the tar.gz file and run the install script from there.  You will
need to extract it to another directory as the CD images is of course read
only.  Unmount the CD as soon as you have  installed the rpm or extracted
the tarball.  If you do not the console will get error messages writen to it
every couple of seconds.

Charlie