[clue-tech] kernel config file

dennisjperkins at comcast.net dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Thu May 21 09:08:51 MDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "mike havlicek" <mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com>
To: "CLUE technical discussion" <clue-tech at cluedenver.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 8:57:14 AM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
Subject: Re: [clue-tech] kernel config file

--- On Thu, 5/21/09, dennisjperkins at comcast.net <dennisjperkins at comcast.net> wrote:

> From: dennisjperkins at comcast.net <dennisjperkins at comcast.net>
> Subject: [clue-tech] kernel config file
> To: kevin at kevinfries.com, "Clue-Tech" <clue-tech at cluedenver.org>
> Date: Thursday, May 21, 2009, 7:17 AM
> #yiv1756739861 p
> {margin:0;}I
> looked in a book about the kernel, and it says that if the
> kernel is configured to do so, it puts config.gz into /proc,
> and that you can unzip that file into the kernel source and
> use it to build a new kernel.

Or at least zless it to find the answers you are looking for..

> I don't know how many distros do this. I
> don't know how many put a copy of the config file into
> /boot either.

I was just wondering why distributed kernels don't usually seem to enable config.gz in /proc.
I think recently when I was messing with sidux it did. I usually enable
it when I build. What is the danger? I have always suspected a danger with
using the file in /boot as the end all authority:)

-Mike

No danger. It just makes the kernel a little larger because it needs to store the config file inside itself. Embedded systems wouldn't want to do this, of course, but otherwise, it is just the preference of the distro builders.

If I recall correctly, this feature appeared in the 2.6 kernels.