[clue-tech] Touchpad and xorg.conf.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun May 24 20:48:20 MDT 2009

I had said I was going to figure out making my touch pad work with my
track point at installfest (on a z61t).  I didn't work on that last week
but I tried today.

Turns out all I had to do was add the input driver for it
(xserver-xorg-input-synaptic in debian).  But the xorg.conf is rather
misleading.  It turns out that by default the input sections using kbd
and mouse are ignored (because hal knows better, naturally).  So hal had
been setting up the track point fine.  I thought it might be recognizing
the touchpad because there was a section about Mac mouse emulation (the
touchpad only had two buttons so maybe Mac mouse stuff has to do with
that--not).

I like the way evdev gives me 10 event devices in /dev/input (those are
what get used with Xorg now) but "The  mapping from device node to
hardware is system-depen-dent." (and apparently undocumented)