[clue-tech] The InstallFest was busy and I learned a lot

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon May 25 17:14:12 MDT 2009

We had about 25 people all together.  I didn't notice who was helping or
being helped so I think we had a good mix.

There was a cheap HP netbook destined for 3rd world medical usage.
Seemed like it worked well with the stock Ubuntu (I think).  Interesting
that people assume wireless in a device like that and then were
surprised to find a wired port (hidden behind a rubber plug).

*buntu 9.04 had "just works" support for a $10 wireless USB adapter.  No
ndiswrapper magic required.

The MythTV help was all conversational.  Mike came down from Boulder and
it seems he really knows a lot so hopefully it was productive even
without hardware.

I think the other laptop that needed to use an external monitor got
fixed but I didn't see what was done.  I didn't work on mine.  Turns out
that xrandr can turn it on and off (tried it today) but the Fn-F7
Thinkpad key doesn't do anything.  Hal seems to recognize that I have
extra thinkpad keys but I don't see an xorg driver for them.
hotkeys-setup seems to be the debian way to use them but I'm skeptical
that it's well integrated with apps so far.

I was impressed that the 2.4 kernel in RHEL3 handled David's new laptop
so well.  Some recompiling was needed but ethernet maybe only needed the
right driver selected.  Serial was fun to check out (thankfully we had
another machine with a serial port).

We've had a couple of non-technical people come and get helped.  They
seem to take to *buntu pretty well.  There are some people out there who
don't need much more than a browser and office to be happy and Linux
makes that really cheap.

You all probably missed Rachel Alexandra win the Preakness.  Take a
look, Mine That Bird made it worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTJUTJJCmR0