[clue-tech] MySQL server reply packets delayed/lost under network congestion?

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Fri Nov 6 17:32:18 MST 2009

Hi CLUEbies,

We have a Windows MySQL client on one end of a 1Mbps serial PPP
connection and a Linux MySQL server on the other end.  Actually we have
thousands of these and they all behave the same.  Since it's weird I'd
appreciate any ideas or suggestions about what we could change or do to
fix this!

Whenever there is sustained high bandwidth network traffic over the PPP
link (such as downloading a large e-mail attachment, or streaming video)
the mysql connections all start to time out because response packets
from the server are not received at the client.  I observed this by
doing a simple "telnet server 3306" and observed that the MySQL banner
response with version number was delayed by several seconds or until the
bandwidth-hogging stopped.

What I don't understand is why I can still transfer data from other
servers on the Linux system, such as "net view \\server" and "dir
\\server\sharename" (using the Windows redirector to talk to Samba on
the Linux system).  Also the apache web server on the Linux system
responds normally, both from a web browser and also in response to
"telnet server 80" and then "GET / HTTP/1.0".

It seems that every network service on the linux server responds
normally and in a timely manner in the presence of a bandwidth hog,
EXCEPT for MySQL.  The link MTU is 1500 bytes on both ends, and server
interface txqueuelen is 100.  MySQL seems to be somewhat better at
responding when we decrease the MTU to 384, but for a variety of reasons
that is not practical and we are going to have to stick with 1500.

Is this behavior expected?  Has anyone else seen this?  Is there
something we can change in the mysql server config which will make it
more aggressive about sending query response packets out to clients?  By
the way both 4.0.24 and 5.0.45 do this, although it seems the older
version is slightly more robust.  I am not a MySQL expert so I don't
know what the differences are or why this would happen.

We can use tc traffic shaping to force it to work better, but traffic
shaping has its own set of issues and risks, and really the only thing
on the server that's not working OK in the presence of a bandwidth hog
is the mysql server.  Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks,
Jim

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)