[clue-tech] MySQL server reply packets delayed/lost under network congestion?

Shawn Perry redmop924 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 6 19:12:26 MST 2009

How are you doing your traffic shaping?  Can you post your script?  There
are dozens of ways to set up traffic shaping, and most of them are not
optimal for your serup.

On Nov 6, 2009 6:08 PM, "Silas Martinez" <silasm at gmail.com> wrote:

Hey there,

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help in directly solving the problem,
but perhaps there is another approach?

If clients are mostly doing read activity, for example, perhaps replication
is a potential solution? Clients could do read activity without interruption
(the data feed to the local slave may be interrupted, so the data may not be
up-to-the-moment, but connections wouldn't arbitrarily drop, either), and a
connection would only be required at the moment for write activity (to the
remote master) - and even that isn't a strict requirement, depending on the
sensitivity of the data, and the app itself.

Replication can be configured to be tolerant of losing connectivity to the
master with few issues:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/replication-faq.html#qandaitem-16-3-4-1-1

Unfortunately, outside of traffic shaping, which you've already considered,
I'm not aware of a better fix. Perhaps someone will be more mysql-clueful
than I.

Best of luck!

Silas.