[clue-tech] Error messages that can't be redirected

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Fri Nov 6 21:46:45 MST 2009

Hi folks--

Here's something that's been bugging me for a long time: sometimes I
will use a command-line program and try to redirect the output, e.g. to
a log file, and it doesn't work. For example:

   for img in *.jpg; do
     nice gm convert -resize 160x160 $img thumbs/$img >> resize.log 2>&1
   done

Nope. I get nothing in my log file. I've tried several variations of
this command, including piping the output to tee. It just doesn't ever
work. 'gm', by the way, is GraphicsMagick, a better-performing fork of
ImageMagick. The same thing happened with ImageMagick, and IIRC with
some other programs I've used on occasion.

So what's going on here?

--
Matt Gushee