[clue-tech] Coffee shop wireless connection problem

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Fri Nov 6 22:25:01 MST 2009

Okay, last question for tonight.

I have this ASUS Eee netbook running Arch Linux (BTW, yeah, the keyboard
is a bit small, but I love the extreme portability of it), which I use
at various places around town. Now, it happens that at my favorite
coffee shop I usually can't connect to the Net. I've spoken to the staff
about it, and they are great people but not very technical: they know
how to change the password and reboot the router, and that's about it.
When that doesn't solve the problem, they call Qwest.

Now, I can't give many specifics, because (a) I don't have much
information, and (b) it is not always the same problem. E.g., last month
I could get connected to the access point and get an IP thru DHCP, but
DNS wasn't working. With the help of Wireshark, I eventually figured out
that it was an IPv6 issue, and disabling IPv6 solved that problem. Now I
can't get an IP address. Since there are several other locations where I
have no trouble getting connected, I don't think there's anything wrong
with my hardware, and probably not with my software. And I have checked
and rechecked multiple times that I have the correct password.

Anyway. What I am most interested in at this point is troubleshooting
techniques. Given that my machine can see the access point, but I am
either failing authentication or failing to get a DHCP lease, what if
anything can I do to get more details about what exactly is happening?

Does it help if I say that: I am using wicd, mainly via the GUI, to
manage connections? And that I have enabled its debug mode, but haven't
seen any helpful log messages ("dhcpcd timed out" is typical). Also, my
kernel is 2.6.31, and Arch Linux has few if any distro-specific kernel
patches. And my wireless controller appears to the system as a RealTek
RTL8187SE (rev 22).

TIA for all your tips.

--
Matt Gushee