[clue-tech] Error messages that can't be redirected

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Fri Nov 6 23:06:16 MST 2009

Oh error messages can always be redirected, but sometimes you have to
try harder than others:

basic: command 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null
or: command 2>&1 >/dev/null

This almost always wins:  sh -c "command 2>&1 >/dev/null" 2>&1 >./dev/null

You can keep nesting the sh levels and forcing redirect to /dev/null (or
your output file) if you still get output you weren't expecting.