[clue-tech] Mail server questions

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Sat Nov 7 18:59:55 MST 2009

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 18:19:18 -0700
Matt Gushee wrote:

> Jed S. Baer wrote:
>
> Ahh, me like. Though I will need to learn how to do this. Do the
> Postfix docs adequately explain how to write these rules? Or, if not,
> do you know a good 3rd-party tutorial?

I got a lot of it from the supplied docs, online at
http://www.postfix.org/documentation.html but IIRC supplied in the CentOS
RPM (which was what I was working with on my test machine, to match the
CLUE server). Looking back in the mailing list archives: I see
http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Mail - but IIRC, what it points to is a bit
out-of-date. I found a lot of articles on the web - seems to be a popular
topic. Just keep in mind when reading what you find that postfix has had
changes in options, and some of the older stuff won't work, but the
concept is still valid - just needs to be implemented in a different
place.

> > When I was working on getting Dovecot and Spamassassin set up for
> > CLUE, I tested using a 2nd box on my home network. A VM would work
> > for that as well.
>
> Oh, duh! Well, almost duh ... because I'm already setting up a FreeBSD
> test machine in VirtualBox--yeah, my server's running FreeBSD 7.2.
> Sorry it's not Linux, but BSD was cheaper, and 'they' say it's more
> secure :-)

Cheaper than free? Wow! :) I thought it was only OpenBSD that was
supposedly more secure.

> But let's see--how would I set up the hostnames? Is it good enough to
> just tweak /etc/hosts, or do I need to run a local DNS server for the
> test network to work right?

IIRC, I just set up what I needed in /etc/hosts. Just be sure you set the
search order correctly in ... (scratches brain) ... nsswitch.conf(?).

I'll tar up the config files we use for CLUE, and send them over to you.
Just keep in mind I'm no expert on the subject.

jed
--
Ok, so we should be thinking of a lovable, cuddly, stuffed penguin
sitting down after having gorged itself on herring. Still with me?