[clue-tech] Mail server questions

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Nov 8 01:02:43 MST 2009

Matt Gushee wrote:
>     * Run a POP3 server.
>     * Use a Webmail application, probably RoundCube, for remote
>       access, but set it to not delete messages on the server.
>     * Keep my current desktop setup, with Thunderbird downloading
>       and deleting everything.
>
>     Has anybody done it this way? Did it work well for you? Any pitfalls
>     I should know about?

I skipped the web mail part.  My "remote" machine use POP3 also but
didn't delete the messages.  That won't work if you only have a browser
on the remote machine.

I happened to use SSH to tunnel the POP3 connections to the server so
POP3 didn't have to be open to the 'net.

>  2) I'm planning to use Postfix for SMTP, but am not sure about
>     POP/IMAP. Recommendations?

popa3d is very easy but doesn't support fancy authentication.

>  3) And of course a spam question: a significant amount of the spam I
>     get is spoofing one of my two domain names. Now, I think it should
>     be pretty easy to detect those, since I know my own mail server's
>     IP address, and nothing originating from any other host should
>     claim to be from my domain. Any reason I shouldn't send the spoofed
>     messages straight to /dev/null?

That should be easy.  I would think postfix would do that by default.

When I got tired of spam I added greylisting.  Only.  It has reduced my
spam by ~1000 messages a day, which is more than 99% of it.  The rest I
can live with so I haven't had to learn anything about spamassassin yet.