[clue-tech] Mail server questions

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Wed Nov 11 21:05:48 MST 2009

Nate Duehr wrote:

> I used to run my own mail server (for more than 10 years).  After VERY
> carefully considering the options as spam-filtering changes had become
> almost a "part time job" for me and my users, I moved everything to
> fastmail.fm - good prices, professionals who's job it is to work on
> e-mail servers and virtually nothing but e-mail servers all day, every
> day, and it got me out of the mail server "biz" so-to-speak forever for
> $15 a year.
>
> Think seriously about something like that.

Okay, I did, and it didn't take me long to realize you were right.
Thanks for bringing me to my senses. In any case, I didn't *want* to run
a mail server, I just thought I needed to. I had heard of Fastmail
before, but didn't recall that such a thing existed. Anyway, the whole
point of having my own server is to be able to deploy some [hopefully]
cool Web apps I am developing. It would kinda defeat the purpose to
spend all my time dicking around with Postfix.

As for it being a good learning experience, sure. I want to learn how to
run a mail server, just like I want to learn every other skill there is
... but it's pretty far from my mission in life, so maybe in 80 years or
so, after I learn to carve scrimshaw and before I learn to write
Tifinagh. ;-)

So, Fastmail it is. I went with the $40/yr plan so I can use my own
domain names (2 now, likely to increase). Still ... that's about what I
spend on coffee in one month. Pretty damn good deal.

Thanks to all who responded. I hope your tips will prove useful to
somebody who really does need to run a mail server.

--
Matt Gushee