[clue-tech] Re: Grab your coat, it's still on!

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Mon Nov 16 16:59:30 MST 2009

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:20:22 -0700
Bill Smith wrote:

> This OS runs KDE not Gnome. Does that make a difference?

Nope. No reason you can't run Gnome or GTK apps while using KDE as your
desktop, or vice-versa. I run both K (or Qt) apps and Gnome (or GTK)
apps, and I don't use either desktop environment. Any application will
depend on the libraries it's linked to, irrespective of what window
manager or whatever you're running. If you don't have those libraries, it
won't run. But dependency checking is built into the various package
management systems. It could be that one of the libaries synaptic depends
on was not installed correctly, maybe because a post-install script
didn't do something it should have. Or it could be that the synaptic
package doesn't have its dependencies correctly identified, so apt didn't
know to pull those down as well.

Checking whether you actually have the libraries present on your system
is a good first step.

jed

--
Ok, so we should be thinking of a lovable, cuddly, stuffed penguin
sitting down after having gorged itself on herring. Still with me?