[clue-tech] Missing Synaptic [was Re: Grab your coat, it'sstill on!]

Thu Nov 19 10:44:32 MST 2009

> I looked 40 lines deep and no 'synaptic' string. Can I do an "apt-get"
> and accomplish updating the system? That's all I'm really concerned
> about.

$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Here's the breakdown of the line:

$ = A command for your normal login account follows...
sudo = do the following as root, according to /etc/sudoers
apt-get update = update all package availability information from my currently enabled repositories
&& = Only if command to the left exits without error, run the command to the right
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade = as root, update my whole machine to the latest packages appropriate to my distro & version

NOTE: dist-upgrade does not initiate a distribution version upgrade, it upgrades your current distribution installation as extensively as possible within it's current distro-version.  For example: Samba might go from 3.0.23-17 to 3.0.24-9, but Ubuntu won't go from 9.04 to 9.10.