[clue-tech] Create virtual partition from free disk space on multiple networked machines

Keith Christian keith1christian at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 06:41:06 MST 2009

Suppose a user needs 1 gb of space.  At his disposal are several
networked Linux and/or Unix machines with their own disks.  The user
is familiar with NFS, but needs a way to combine free space scattered
across these networked disks into one 1 gb contiguous virtual
partition.

Is there any Linux or Unix open source software (probably based on
NFS) to accomplish this today?  We of course have RAID to combine
disks on the same machine, but I couldn't find anything to combine a
few hundred megs here and there into a unified disk partition to
present to an OS for storage purposes.  Maybe I'm thinking of an open
source SAN....?

======Keith