[clue-tech] Virtual machine networking problem with samba

Michael Irons michael.irons at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 14:24:16 MST 2009

Hey Jim,

Sorry for not including more info. I am at school until late tonight. I will
let you know when I get home.

Mike I

On Nov 30, 2009 1:23 PM, "Jim Ockers" <ockers at ockers.net> wrote:

 Hi Michael,

Michael Irons wrote: > > On Monday 30 November 2009 09:10:25 am Jim Ockers
wrote: > >> >> Micha...
What does it mean "doesn't work" ?  What error message do you get?  Just
because you don't get a drive mapping doesn't mean there isn't useful
information in the error message, so you should try to include as much
information as possible when asking for help.

>From your client then could you please try these commands:

telnet 192.168.1.2 139
telnet 192.168.1.2 445
telnet 172.16.1.1 139
telnet 172.16.1.1 445

If those ports can not be connected-to then the problem is firewall rules on
your samba server.  If those ports CAN be connected to, then try "net view
\\192.168.1.2" or "net view \\172.16.1.1" and let us know what you get,
including error messages if you don't get a share list.

%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts f...

I started down this path.... but I don't remember if It was a dead end or not.
I will look into it. It is quite possible my firewall rule is blocking nmbd
traffic, as I am not specifically allowing for it. Thank you.

Michael Irons