[clue-tech] Copying System to New Drive

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Sun Oct 18 16:29:25 MDT 2009

Hi Folks.

Just tried to do this. Didn't work. I actually searched Clue-Tech for the
previous discussion we had on this, and didn't find it. So I followed
these directions:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/copy-your-linux-install-different-partition-or-drive

All seems simple enough. I did get a couple of errors when I ran
  setup (hd0,0)

(Yes, that's the exact tring returned by the find command. Seems different
from what I remember for grub's identifiers.)

Which I don't have in front of me because I of course I had to stick my
old HD back in. Was something about when doing an 'embed' being unable to,
and referencing e2fs_stage1_5. Not sure where it's trying to embed it.
But grub said it wasn't fatal, and finished with no other error messages.

A bit of web searching, and here are the error messages:

Running "embed /grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0,0)"... failed (this is not fatal)
Running "embed /grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0,0)"... failed (this is not fatal)

I partitioned the drive using fdisk, with 3 primary partitions, using 1
for swap, and I was very careful to use the correct UUID string in the
boot stanzas in menu.lst. I also used fdisk to set partition 1 as
bootable. Used mkfs.ext3 and mkswp to format the partitions.

If I try to boot my system, with just this drive installed (and I've
checked the BIOS setttings to be sure it's in the boot search sequence),
I get the usual BIOS output, then

  boot from CD/DVD: (or something like that -- not sure if that's grub or
the BIOS)

and I just wait, which is normally what I'd do for the system to boot.
Except it doesn't. Seems as if for some reason there's no bootloader in
the MBR.

I also tried:

  chroot /media/sys /usr/bin/grub/install /dev/sda

(where /media/sys is where the new HD part 1 mounts to in Ubuntu live),
but grub complains that /dev/sda is not a block device.

Anyways, if someone can recall enough keywords to find that discussion on
Clue-Tech, I'll save the URL for it this time. Or other advice
appreciated. I can stuff the new HD in a shoebox and look for logs etc.

jed

--
Ok, so we should be thinking of a lovable, cuddly, stuffed penguin
sitting down after having gorged itself on herring. Still with me?