[clue-tech] GRUB, finally.

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 11:05:37 MDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 6:30 PM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
> Collins Richey wrote:
>>
>> I haven't dealt with grub2 yet that I know of, unless sid has switched
>> over automagically?
>
> Both testing and unstable have changed the grub package to depend on
> grub-pc, which is one of the grub2 packages.  On machines with lilo that
> doesn't do anything.  I forget what happened when I upgraded a grub machine.
>  I think it gave me a window that said it was switching and what kernel
> params did I want (quiet was the default, I don't need any others).

Either that dependency is brand new (I haven't upgraded since last
week) or it's not enforcing for existing setups. I'll report back
after my next upgrade.

>> In any case unless grub2 is light years different, there's nothing to
>> do for kernel upgrades except add the appropriate menu.lst stanza.
>> That shouldn't be much different than the work done now by the
>> apt-kernel installation process.
>
> So grub2 uses grub.cfg instead of menu.lst.

That still doesn't answer my basic assumption. The apt-kernel process
currently (grub) applies kernel updates automagically to the grub
controls. Are they dropping that process if you have grub2?

--
Collins Richey