[clue-tech] Fwd: My next desktop ==> server with virtualization

chris fedde chris at fedde.us
Wed Sep 9 20:55:03 MDT 2009

In my opinion a NAS does not need much computing power, anything
beyond 1Ghz is plenty fast to saturate a gigabit network with samba
and nfs.   A little ram is nice to have for file cache if you are
working with smallish files or lots of connections.   But too much is
not needed if the primary use of the fileserver is for streaming
content to a home or small office.

The 1.5T sata drives are pretty much the price per byte sweet spot these days.

I'd go for something like these combo boards for a dedicated NAS box
Intel Atom processor 330 Intel 945GC Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121383
and add say 2 to 4 gig of ram and a couple drives.

Maybe also get a sata port multiplier box if I want even more drives:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111057

I'm not recommending newegg. It's just that their links were easy to find.

You want the cores and ram in your workstations where all the
computation stuff is done.

Here is a great article about what your computer is doing while you wait:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121383
and a graphic to go with it.  Be sure to zoom in:
http://imgur.com/X1Hi1.gif

Here is another interesting storage idea that blew my mind when I read it.
http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/