[clue-tech] Dual booting between linux.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Sep 10 22:24:27 MDT 2009

Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Collins Richey wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 9:59 AM, David L. Anselmi<anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
>>
>>> So how about putting grub on both the MBR and on each partition's boot
>>> sector?  Let each distro own its partition and then the MBR only has to
>>> chain load one of those.
>>>
>>> Anyone done this and been happy with it?  Anyone have a better way?
>
> I'm guessing the way it works is you'd have to manually install grub in
> the MBR and just chain load each boot partition.  So you'd get first the
> MBR grub screen, select the partition from there, and then you'd get
> that distro's grub screen.

So you can point a grub entry at another partition's config file.  See:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ubuntu-63/partitioning-strategy-for-dual-boot-with-opensuse-730194/

title		Suse
configfile      (hdX,Y)/boot/grub/menu.lst
savedefault

You put one grub on the MBR and add this bit to pick up the other grub's
config.  The other grub either has to be told not to update the MBR (not
sure if that's easy) or put in a harmless place (like its partition boot
record).

As long as that little stanza stays intact (should be easy even if
menu.lst gets updated) you're set.

I guess my suggestion has the downside of requiring 2 selections to boot
each partition (unless the second one just defaults and doesn't let you
choose).  This stanza lets one boot directly and the other requires 2
choices.

Neither of those seems as elegant as it could be.  What else?