[clue-tech] Fwd: My next desktop ==> server with virtualization

chris fedde chris at fedde.us
Fri Sep 11 11:37:03 MDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:19 AM, NOPE9 <yes at nope9.com> wrote:

>> On Sep 9, 2009, at 8:55 PM, chris fedde wrote:
>>
>> In my opinion a NAS does not need much computing power, anything
>> beyond 1Ghz is plenty fast [...]
[...]
> The suggestion of an ATOM processor is nice.  I would like to find a
> motherboard
> that supports ECC memory.  Any suggestions.
> Gus

Product search at google shows lots of Atom boards but none seem to
support ECC.   I'm guessing that at this low end ECC and Atom do not
go together.  I think that if you want that then you're going to have
to jump the spec a bit to get something that supports ECC.  On the
other hand I'm not sure what value ECC adds at this low end.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&hs=549&q=atom+330+ecc&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=KIWqSq-lHMKGnQe7sdmkDw&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4

I also note the subject change:
A desktop choice I'm considering is:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4843706&Sku=B69-3064

Not top of the line but far enough back to give me a great price break
and well above the performance level of my current rig.