[clue-tech] intermittent connection problems

Jason S. Friedman jason at powerpull.net
Sat Sep 12 22:05:58 MDT 2009

I have heard from this list: 1) DNS, 2) IPv6.  Regarding IPv6, I read at
  http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-87798.html instructions
for disabling IPv6,  The instructions refer to /etc/modprobe.d/aliases,
but I have no such file on my machine.

Regarding DNS, I changed to OpenDNS, but that does not help:

jason at goldenrule:/tmp> !wget
wget www.frii.com
--2009-09-13 04:02:44--  http://www.frii.com/
Resolving www.frii.com... 216.17.184.30
Connecting to www.frii.com|216.17.184.30|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Location: http://frii.com/ [following]
--2009-09-13 04:02:44--  http://frii.com/
Resolving frii.com... 216.17.184.30
Reusing existing connection to www.frii.com:80.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...

[and no response]

What IP address do others show for www.frii.com and www.microsoft.com?

> 1. Try replacing the Qwest DNS servers with another set to see if the problem goes away.  OpenDNS comes to mind.  http://www.opendns.com/
>
> 2. I may not have an answer, but I've frequently encountered this type of
> problem on comcast. Comcast has (or used to have) very unreliable DNS
> servers. I don't know about the situation with Qwest.
>
> 3. IIRC, a friend of mine was having something sounding like what
you're experiencing, and the solution was to disable IPV6.