[clue-tech] intermittent connection problems

June Tate-Gans june at theonelab.com
Sun Sep 13 08:36:55 MDT 2009

I would be remiss if I failed to note that using OpenDNS is folly --
they directly adjust DNS entries that are "fraudulent" and serve them
up as if they are authoritative for them. If their system is ever
compromised, it wouldn't be hard to be misdirected to a phishing page
via a real fraudulent DNS entry -- not to mention the fact that
they're subverting the whole point of DNS decentralization in the
first place. Those who care about security and being a proper 'net
citizen would be wise to not use OpenDNS.

What I would suggest, however, is that instead of using your ISP's DNS
servers that you run bind or some other caching DNS server like
dnsmasq. That way if the upstream DNS server fails to resolve a DNS
entry, your local cache may already have a copy of the record and
serve that to fill in the gaps, so to speak.

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 7:27 PM, Brian Gibson <bwg1974 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Try replacing the Qwest DNS servers with another set to see if the problem goes away.  OpenDNS comes to mind.  http://www.opendns.com/

June Tate-Gans    | Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things
www.theonelab.com | than you free with my breakfast cereal. -- Zaphod Beeblebrox