[clue-tech] Linux MCE

Michael Mikelson mjmikelson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 15:53:04 MDT 2009

Hi all;

I'm going to attend this upcoming installfest and have a problem I need help
with.  I want to install LinuxMCE on a quadcore machine I have.  It's a
elitegroup P965T-a board with a Q6600 proc, 2 gb ddr2800.  I have a 250gb
SATA for it.

I have these DVR cards I got off ebay, the 4 for $35 or something like
that.  Problem is that they claim to come with drivers, but really don't.
There's a mini disc allegedly having Windows drivers on it, but I'd not
gotten them to work, and I'm an MCSE...from 10 ears ago....but still.

I don't know Linux all that well, as I'm a Project Manager now, not a
techie.  I got the following info from the seller, claiming that this patch
against kernel will work.  www.ap-accessgrid.org/linux/ivc.html

I don't know how to patch a kernel.  I don't know how to install a bttv
module.

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me on this, please?  I want to
learn, more than anything else.

I'm also reading that LinuxMCE won't work in a virtual environment.  I have
two of those pc's and I want to find a way to make one run virtually.  I'm
not opposed to dedicating a box to Linux MCE, but if I could run VM's on top
of LinuxMCE so I could run some other VM's on the same boxes, it's be a
great use of the hardware, is my thought.  Just trying to make the most of
the boxes, of course!

So, if anyone is interested, this is the project I'll be bringing Saturday.

Thanks in advance!

Michael