[clue-tech] effective password length

Thu Apr 15 14:31:31 MDT 2010

At RMSEL, a Linux Terminal Server school, they're noticing some password weirdness.  Characters beyond x entered at the keyboard, or set in the password, are ignored.

For example: If my password is "triton-2010" and x is 7, "triton-2009" and "triton-gobbajooboffala" will both log me in.

Anyone familiar with a "feature" that might cause that?

David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
MCT MSCE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 NovellCLA UbuntuCP
tel://720.333.LANS
Freeing people from the tyranny (or whatevery) of Microsofty-ness