[clue-tech] FW: sound on Hardy

Bill Smith wpsmithii at msn.com
Fri Apr 16 06:38:39 MDT 2010

From: wpsmithii at msn.com
To: michael.irons at gmail.com
Subject: RE: [clue-tech] sound on Hardy
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:04:51 -0600

Any body else got time to help, now that my excellent helper is gone.

Ok Mike, I'm back from Canada and I'm ready to start again. As I said, I went through the list of things to do from the forum. Here's my "lsmod | grep snd" as of now

caelinux at bill-desktop:~$ lsmod | grep snd
snd_hda_intel         496100  3
snd_seq_dummy           5892  0
snd_seq_oss            39424  0
snd_usb_audio         104352  1
snd_usb_lib            22272  1 snd_usb_audio
snd_pcm_oss            55968  0
snd_mixer_oss          20864  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_midi           12224  0
snd_pcm               100360  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_usb_audio,snd_pcm_oss
snd_rawmidi            31392  2 snd_usb_lib,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event     10240  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_hwdep              13064  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_usb_audio
snd_seq                67456  6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device         10900  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd_timer              29448  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd                    78824  23 snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_hwdep,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_timer
soundcore              10400  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         13968  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
usbcore               170288  9 snd_usb_audio,snd_usb_lib,usb_storage,pwc,libusual,usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
caelinux at bill-desktop:~$

When I ran alsamixer everything was unmuted and the sound was turned up

Then I ran
caelinux at bill-desktop:~$ sudo aptitude search libasound2-plugins pulseaudio-* paman padevchooser paprefs
[sudo] password for caelinux:
i   gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio        - GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio
p   libasound2-plugins              - ALSA library additional plugins
p   libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio      - Simple DirectMedia Layer (with X11 and Pul
p   padevchooser                    - PulseAudio Device Chooser
p   paman                           - PulseAudio Manager
p   paprefs                         - PulseAudio Preferences
i   pulseaudio                      - PulseAudio sound server
p   pulseaudio-dbg                  - PulseAudio sound server detached debugging
i   pulseaudio-esound-compat        - PulseAudio ESD compatibility layer
p   pulseaudio-esound-compat-dbg    - PulseAudio ESD compatibility layer debuggi
i   pulseaudio-module-gconf         - GConf module for PulseAudio sound server
p   pulseaudio-module-gconf-dbg     - GConf module for PulseAudio sound server d
i   pulseaudio-module-hal           - HAL device detection module for PulseAudio
p   pulseaudio-module-hal-dbg       - HAL module for PulseAudio sound server deb
p   pulseaudio-module-lirc          - lirc module for PulseAudio sound server
p   pulseaudio-module-lirc-dbg      - lirc module for PulseAudio sound server de
i   pulseaudio-module-x11           - X11 module for PulseAudio sound server
p   pulseaudio-module-x11-dbg       - X11 module for PulseAudio sound server deb
p   pulseaudio-module-zeroconf      - Zeroconf module for PulseAudio sound serve
p   pulseaudio-module-zeroconf-dbg  - Zeroconf module for PulseAudio sound serve
i   pulseaudio-utils                - Command line tools for the PulseAudio soun
p   pulseaudio-utils-dbg            - PulseAudio command line tools detached deb
caelinux at bill-desktop:~$

What else do you need? Talk to you soon. Bill