[clue-tech] Anybody using an Epson scanner?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Aug 2 20:26:28 MDT 2010

Matt Gushee wrote:
> Hi, all--
>
> I am looking for a good quality, reasonably priced *photo* scanner that
> works with Linux.

I don't know about photo but I've set up an Epson multifunction (Stylus NX300).  Scanning wasn't a
priority so I figured to wait until SANE supports it.  A while back the epkowa backend showed up
with support (from Avasys), and now epson2 seems to have equally good support.  My notes don't say
that I installed SANE but I remember some OCR so I probably did and it worked.

> So here's what I'm wondering: if anyone is using an Epson scanner with
> iscan, do you have any idea what characteristics of the system determine
> whether a particular scanner will work or not?

No, sorry.  But when I tried both the printer driver (now replaced with Gutenprint) and iscan.  Both
had problems (segfault, etc) so I gave up.  They don't provide any info (that I saw) about what
release the packages might be built for, nor do they give any useful dependency info.  So I gave up
on it.